Monday, May 07, 2007

A short post about Rugby

I haven't written much about Rugby recently, partially because I've been tied up in trying to win other people's elections and mocking the Tories, but also because the administration of the English game seemed to be in such a tailspin that it didn't seem worth writing about something that wouldn't exist in a few years.

However brighter news this weekend. It seems like the IRB have brokered a compromise in the dispute over next years European Cup. Therefore if Bath lose their challenge cup final ( Rugby's equivalent to the UEFA cup) in a couple of weeks I can look forward to seeing Quins in the Heineken next season. Given that I have tickets for the England - South Africa game in Paris in September it looks like I may well be spending a large amount of next autumn travelling to France to see my teams get hammered. Remind me why I do this again.

In other news Quins had a delightful stroll in the sun to end the season, hammering an understrength Sale 49-0 (with Andrew Merhtens sticking two fingers up at those who say he is too old for the Premiership by putting on his best display in two years playing for Quins, he will be missed).

Mike Brown, Quins 21 year old full back got his just reward for an outstanding season, his first in the premiership, with a seat on the plane to South Africa alongside David Strettle and Nick Easter. More to come on Mr Brown if and when he gets picked in the team, but suffice to say although he isn't the finished article, this kid could be special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home