Saturday, April 28, 2007

A new approach to drawing up a reading list

As somebody who doesn't have time to read as much as he would like, one of the pleasures in life is a friend recommending a brilliant book that you would have never have got round to reading otherwise.

Therefore how delighted I was to see that my good friends in the Christian right has created a reading list just for people like you and me. Scanning down the list of the American Library Association's list of 100 top books people tried to ban I find some books I loved, Brett Easton Ellis' American Psycho, (its a satire for fucks sake!) and Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, (why is that on anybody's to ban list?); and some classics such as To Kill a Mocking Bird that I'm definitely going to make an extra effort to read now. I may leave the Joy of Gay Sex a couple of months though. (found via the Guardian).

Update: scanning the list again I spotted James and the Giant Peach on it. The bastards. I loved that book as a kid. Dahl's The Witches, which is also on the list, I can understand that some nutters would have a problem with the occult references. But what on earth is corrupting about a giant peach? Answers on a postcard please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home