Saturday, December 29, 2007

Bringing it home

I'm currently traveling around South Africa with the Girl (hence the even lighter than normal blogging schedule), but the thing that struck me today was just how bad things have become in Zimbabwe. Picking up my complimentary copy of the Saturday Star in Joburg Airport this morning what jumped off the page was not that Zuma the heir apparent to the SA Presidency had been charged with corruption offenses (rant about corruption in South Africa will follow when I can find a better connection) but the cost of the paper in Zimbabwe. z$600,000. That isn't a typo, inflation is so bad in Zimbabwe that a paper that costs R4.80 (about 30-40p) in Joburg is worth six hundred thousand Zimbabwean dollars today (and probably nearer a million in the new year). Certainly shocked me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

.... That's about US$20 according to xe.com's converter. That is pretty shocking.

5:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home