Saturday, November 17, 2007

10 words (or why Chris lost the QT debate)

The balance of opinion amongst the Lib Dem blogs appears to be that Chris Huhne shaded the Question Time debate on Thursday evening. I think they are wrong. Not because of anything Chris said really, in fact on the few substantive policy debates I think he had the edge (even if I do tend to lean more towards Nick's views on them).

But, TV debates and more importantly being a modern political leader is much more than being the smartest guy in the room. In fact its often best not to be (or at leasts seeming not to be), after all who likes the smart Alec? And this is where Chris falls down in my opinion. He can't help but show off how good he is. He makes good point, after good point, after good point, after good point... *changes the channel*. Instructive was the question on experience. Chris spent what felt like an age listing his CV, Nick spent what was probably far longer (but felt shorter) taking about what drove him. One had my pulse quickening, the other offering Chris the job as my local bank manager.

So I'm sorry all you Huhney Monsters out there. But unless your man pulls something out of the bag at the London Hustings, unless he shows that he at least has a ten word answer somewhere in his repertoire, I'm probably voting Nick.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully summed up!

L
:-)

11:02 am  
Blogger Robin Young said...

Except some of us think CV is important. I for one don't like the idea of having THREE party leaders with no real life career experience outside politics. Agreed Nick's experience in Brussels is better than Gordon Brown's short life as a television researcher or David Cameron's years as a TV company spin doctor, but really - no wonder ordinary folk think that folk who can't do no longer teach, but take up politics instead.

5:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Short passionate answers are great, but not for every question.

1:59 am  
Blogger Bernard said...

Robin

I'm not denying Chris' CV isn't an asset for him, but he shouldn't overplay it, and needs to talk about it in a way that doesn't bludgeon people with I'm smarter than you.

Lynne

I totally agree, although I would always take short and passionate over long and rambling as my predominant style.

9:32 am  
Blogger Millennium Dome said...

That is a GOOD ten word answer from Ms Lynne!

10:56 am  
Blogger Alex Wilcock said...

Brevity is useful - so is appearing to have a clue.

(I’ve not decided my vote, but Nick seemed worryingly ill-prepared…)

11:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home